Negotiation Strategies for Executives
Learn the art and science of building winning negotiation strategies.
This program covers the basics of planning, distributive and win-win
negotiations, group problem solving, multi-party negotiations,
and more. Discover expert tricks of the trade and convert that
expertise into a competitive advantage.
Negotiation is the art and science of securing agreements between two or more parties. It is a skill that is central to all occupations and one that is used every single day. Negotiation is a skill that is critical to your success whether you are:
- Dealing with a highly political and emotionally charged situation
- Determining the price and terms when acquiring or selling products or services
- Allocating or requesting project resources for your teams
- Championing a new initiative for your company
- Navigating the political minefields of your firm
- Forming alliances or joint ventures with external partners
The Negotiation Strategies for Executives program delivers immediate benefits. It will provide you with knowledge of a wide variety of powerful and practical negotiation skills, and an opportunity to practice these skills in several experiential exercises. Participants leave the program with a firm understanding of the theory behind negotiations and the confidence to use different negotiation strategies and tactics.
- Cultivate sustainable relationships through the negotiation process
- Harness the psychology of influence tactics to help you formulate a winning negotiation strategy
- Understand how your conflict management style influences your selection of strategies and tactics in a negotiation
- Learn the tricks-of-the-trade of expert negotiators
- Convert your negotiation foes into allies
- Convert your negotiation expertise into a competitive advantage for your firm
- Creating and capturing value in negotiations
- Power and influence in negotiations
- Negotiation in teams
- Conflict and negotiations
- International/cross-cultural negotiations
- Multi-party multi-issue negotiations
- Creating negotiation capabilities for your firm
This program is designed for managers who would like to enhance their influence, both within their organizations and externally with other organizations and vendors, by sharpening their negotiation abilities. Middle and upper-level managers in all types of industries and functional areas will benefit by attending. A typical audience might include executives in areas such as business development, marketing, mergers and acquisitions, purchasing, consulting, project management, human resources, strategic alliances, finance, e-commerce, manufacturing, engineering, non-profit administration, and general management.
||Priti Pradhan Shah, Associate Professor in the Department of Work and Organizations, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota
||Lori J. Abrams, Senior Lecturer, Department of Strategic Management and Organization, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota
Carlson School of Management
University of Minnesota
321 19th Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0438
Benefits of Attending
- Learn how to enhance your negotiation skills to both create value for all parties and claim your fair share.
- Learn your strengths and weaknesses as a negotiator. What areas do you need to work on? How does your conflict management style impact the tactics you use in a negotiation?
- Learn the psychology behind influence and negotiation tactics — why do they work so well?
- Gain the confidence to use a more varied repertoire of negotiation skills to adapt your strategy to any given situation.
- Learn how to deal with difficult negotiators.
- Learn about the added complexity of team and multiparty negotiation.
This program provides a unique individualized and interactive approach towards negotiation training. The program provides a foundation of negotiation theory and the opportunity for participants to learn how to apply new negotiation skills and tactics in the context of several experiential simulations. The use of scorable negotiation simulations and self-diagnostic inventories provides participants with individualized feedback on their strengths and weaknesses as negotiators.
Request Program Details
Associate Professor Priti Shah about Negotiation Strategies for Executives
"The focus on collaborative/interest based negotiations made this course a must-take for any manager, executive, or individual who seeks to increase the win-win scenarios in their career or life."
– Lori Carey
Affiliated Computer Services
"The information presented was beneficial to dealing with day-to-day interactions within our company and with our business partners. The exercises were the best part of the entire course; there is nothing like hands-on learning."
– Terry Ward
Director, Research & Nutritional Services
"This program provided insight into the value of good preparation in negotiations and the importance of understanding the motivations and desires of all the parties in negotiating resolutions. Good opportunity for hands on practice of skills discussed."
– Susan Milnar
Senior Finance Manager